Thursday 31 October 2013

music musings

I love music, and I'm definitely on the edge of many a fandom (just music related, for the purpose of this post!), but I've always felt slightly overwhelmed by it all. Fans that spam my twitter with photos ,edits and tweets in manic capitals, just makes me feel distant from the actual music. I'm not 'shaming' anyone here, as I can't say I've not committed any of the above, but it does make me wonder how music is actually viewed and what fans focus on as they become obsessed. 
From what I've witnessed, it's obviously not all about the music anymore. If one viewed the band as anything other than what they want to see from them, I don't know, stuff like: funny, likable, good looking, would they just slip by unnoticed? 
Well, I'm not sure if its as severe as that, but someone who didn't fit this criteria, even after being judged from snippets of their lives, would be much less likely to appear as someones header or inspire their twitter handle. Simply because of curiosity. This generation of teenage music lovers, want this insight into the lives and thoughts of a band or artist, they want the gossip, they almost appear to admire, or want to admire, the people more than their music. 
I have less of an insight into the One Direction fandom, I admit, but lets use them as an example. There is no denying the fact that they are probably the biggest boy band out there, and who doesn't find them at least a bit attractive, but how much success would they have achieved if they were five 'geeky boys', with shy personalities, a lack of immediate attraction, and no desire to have any personal relation with the public? Now, this is a huge generalization, and I can't predict the future of such a band, but I can almost say they wouldn't quite be at One Direction's standard. I also have no knowledge of the boys personalities, having not sat down with them for a coffee, I am simply basing assumptions on the image they portray of themselves, the image which is projected out into the world, an image gives fans that extra push into becoming obsessed fangirls. It's this image that has maybe given the band an edge, and is liked well enough to create a hit documentary film. 
I could say I was in the 'Bastille' fandom. I am certainly a huge fan of their music, and have been long before their album suddenly hit number one. It's the originality of their songs that caught me, Dan Smith's vocals and talent for songwriting. At first, I was simply admiring their music and was blissfully almost unaware of the band members, now, however, it's a different story. There's almost this pressure, bought unknowingly from twitter I suspect!, to have this obsession with the members, to send them birthday cards and to be so defensive and protective over them. I find myself stuck in this circle of the appreciation of the bands hair, and the love for their new cover, sailing through twitter in this flurry of caps lock and screenshots. I wish I could just take a step back, allow myself to have the capability to be critical of their music, and listen to what they wanted us to hear. 
That's what music used to be, didn't it? What you heard or saw live, was ultimately what you got. Regardless of whether the lead singer was a dick or not, one could still appreciate good music. I suppose it's just the way music is developing, like the internet and TV are, but this time I'm not sure whether it's for the better, turning bands and artists into celebrities changes how you view their music, something which I'm sure is unwanted ( but who knows?!) Why should perusing a career in something you have a talent and passion for, shouldn't make you a celebrity, you should gain fans for your music not for the way you are perceived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment